Photographing wedding professionally may be a big challenge new photographers. Thorough preparation is the key. If we miss something in location, there is no way to go back and grab tools that we need.
2 Digital SLR Cameras, one with standard zoom, the other with telephoto zoom or fast prime.
Wedding often happen indoor, especially in church where the light is very dim. Camera with Image stabilization option and ability to handle high ISO is essential. Camera should be responsive and auto focus must be fast and accurate. However, in outdoor wedding, you don’t have to worry about that.
The most important lens is wide zoom lens, because there are many group pictures, and tight indoor shoots such as inside the church.
For small sensor 17-55mm will be great, for full frame, 24-70mm. The bigger the aperture is the best. Big aperture will help in low light condition and also isolate the background better.
For telephoto lens, 50-200mm range is adequate.
Prime lens or macro lens will be great in low light condition and also for artistic photography because it can create a beautiful bokeh (depth of field) try 30mm, 50mm, 60mm, 85mm or 100mm
- 24-70mm f/2.8
- 70-200mm f/2.8
- 85mm f/1.8 or f.1.4
- 35mm f/2, or f/1.4
- Macro lens 60mm or 100mm
- Tilt-Shift lens : Lensbaby (optional)
Off camera lighting equipments (optional, great to light up the dance floor or big hall)
- 2 Sturdy light stands
- 2 Studio quality strobes
- Wireless triggers (ex: Pocket Wizards, Cactus, etc..)
- Battery packs
- 2 flashes, essential in indoor low light condition.
- Flash diffusers popular brand includes: Stofen omnibounce, Lumiquest Promax, Joe Demb Diffuser and Gary Fong Lightsphere
- Memory Cards – usually I shoot 800-1000 pics/day, if you shoot RAW, you might want to have 10-15 GB or more.
- Extra batteries for cameras and external flash
- Charger for batteries
- Gaffer tape (to get cables organized, to tape light stand so it stick to the ground)
- Multipurpose knife/scissors
- Tripod = for group shots, low light, macro, etc
- Comfortable camera bags
- Step ladder
- A car to transport all the gears
Above is a typical list of what pro wedding photography carry for wedding. You might have different set of equipments because of your individual style.
Comments from old blog platform
We always also take a small step ladder so you can get a little extra height.