Nikon D3000 vs Nikon D60

by Enche Tjin on July 30, 2009

Nikon D3000 is an improved entry level camera from Nikon D60. These last two years, manufacturers are competing against each other to lure compact cameras users to DSLR territory. Nikon is not an exception. Nikon D3000 is optimized for entry level camera. It is evidence in the introduction of Guide mode. This mode is a basically a simple tutorial on how to operate camera or to make your photos better.

The camera is aimed for beginner or entry level with a very limited knowledge of photography

Other significant improvements

• LCD screen is up from 2.5 to 3″, but the screen resolution remains 230k.
  • Auto focus points is up to 11 from 3 points
  • Guide Mode

What remains the same

• No built-in AF screw: Can’t auto focus in AF or AF-D lenses
  • No live view or movie mode
  • Size and Weight
  • Image resolution (10 mp)
  • Dust reduction
  • Kit lens 18-55mm VR

The price differences of Nikon D60 and Nikon D3000 is around $600. I recommend beginners to get the Nikon D3000 instead of Nikon D60. For more serious still photographer, I recommend to look for Nikon D90 instead. D3000 is   available for $550-600 now.

Interesting links

K.RAMACHANDRAN September 11, 2009 at 7:47 am

Sir,

I am planning to buy one Nikon Camera.
First I planned to buy D60, NOW NEW D3000 COMES OUT .

I AM CONFUSED PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH IS BEST FOR ME.

PLEASE GIVE ME ADVISE THROUGH MY ABOVE E-MAIL ADDRESS.

THANKS FOR REPLY WITHOUT FAIL.

WITH REGARDS
k. ramachandran

admin September 11, 2009 at 7:52 am

I recommend D3000, Check out my review of Nikon D3000.

fas October 13, 2009 at 4:23 am

Dude where is the D90 available for $600?

admin October 13, 2009 at 4:55 am

updated

manish April 10, 2010 at 8:20 am

hi i am planning 2 buy new slr digital camera for my photography use in my studio well outdoor as iam using d40&40x u refer me which camera 2buy .As i heard frm otherphotograper that in d3000 we will fine yellowish tone ,so iam confused which camer 2 buy d3000 or d60 for my better photograpy . in professional use

Eoin July 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

i have had the Nikon D60 for a couple years now, and I am thinking of selling my d60 to buy the d3000?

Enche Tjin July 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

No.. why you want to do that? I recommend Nikon D5000 or D90 instead.

fatmanotto February 15, 2011 at 4:48 am

I have the D3000 now, bought it 6 months ago. It is a very good camera for beginners like I am, but eventually you will understand you need something better. I suggest the D90, because it has AF compatibility and that makes a huge gap in lens prices!