Although Mirrorless camera system is relatively new, but it has been heated up this year by many new cameras introduced this year. Many major camera/electronic manufacturers has introduce/announce their mirrorless system this year except Canon, Nikon and Pentax.
The price of the cameras are getting lower too, which will directly compete with beginner digital SLR Camera.
Two new entry level camera for mirrorless camera are Panasonic G10 and Samsung NX10. Panasonic G10 price is $600 and Samsung NX10 price is $700. Both will come with a basic zoom lens.
- Mirrorless camera system
- Built-in electronic viewfinder
- Built-in flash
- HD 720p video recording capability
- Roughly similar size and weight
.. and their differences:
Panasonic G10 advantages:
- Panasonic belong to micro four thirds consortium, which has support of many other lenses manufacturer. Therefore, there are plenty lenses available to use with this camera, including from Olympus, Panasonic and Leica-Panasonic lenses. Many adapters also available so you can use DSLR type lenses from major manufacturers, such as Canon and Nikon lenses.
- G10 offers various aspect ratios such as 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 and 1:1. G10 native resolution is 4:3 while Samsung offers only 3:2 and 16:9
- $100 cheaper
Samsung NX10 advantages:
- Samsung use CMOS sensor which is larger than Panasonic G10. This will result in better image quality overall especially in higher ISO (800+). NX10 also has advantage of higher image resolution (14 MP vs 12 MP).
- Samsung OLED 3″ inch screen is the best in the market right now. It offers more resolution (614k dots) and better contrast than Panasonic G10’s 460k 3″ LCD screen.
- Better electronic viewfinder: G10 has 220k dots, NX10 has 921k dots. If you shoot frequently with EVF like DSLR, you might find this more appealing.
- Smart range metering system is great for beginner who does not have a clue about exposure.
- Friendly and rich visual user interface. Samsung user interface and menu system is very friendly and easy to understand because it has combination of text and visual graphics.
I would recommend Panasonic G10 to experienced camera user that concern about lens collection. It is great for people that has many lenses (or want to buy more lenses in the future). Photographers that used to use viewfinder in SLR camera also might prefer G10’s high resolution viewfinder than Samsung NX10’s. For beginners or compact camera users, I would recommend Samsung NX10. Because it is easy to use, very friendly interface to beginner, and great LCD screen.Related Post: