Recommended Tamron lens for Nikon D3000 Nikon D5000 Nikon D60 Nikon D40

by Enche Tjin on May 21, 2010

As you might already know, Nikon beginner DSLR cameras from D5000 or below (D3000, D60..) do not have auto focus motor. Therefore, the camera will rely on lens-built in motor. Many lenses do not have built-in AF motor. But fortunately, third party lens maker, Tamron have many lenses that have built-in motor.

Tamron lens collection are known for their low quality but cheap. I also found that auto focus motor in Tamron lenses is quite noisy and inaccurate in low or back light situations. However, in the past few years, Tamron has developed some quality and unique lenses for Nikon shooters such as Tamron 60mm f/2 macro and 17-50mm VC lens. Tamron lenses are also generally more compact and lighter than Nikon or Sigma lenses.

Here are some of Tamron lenses that I recommend:

tamron-17-50mm-vcTamron 17-50mm f/2.8 SP VC Price: $650
This lens will be a great upgrade from your 18-55 kit lens. It has constant big aperture of f/2.8 and VC (Vibration Compensation) that help you to handle camera shake. Those features make it excellent zoom lens in low light condition. For cheaper alternative, take a look at Tamron 17-50mm non-VC ($460).

tamron-18-270mm-vcTamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC Price: $630
This lens is very popular for people that only want to carry one lens most of the time because it is very versatile and have a very wide zoom range. This is also the longest super zoom lens in the market. Other alternative will be Tamron 18-250mm. It does not has VC, but it is significantly cheaper ($330) and surprisingly, a bit sharper.

tamron-70-300mm-macroTamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro Price: $160
A very inexpensive Tamron telephoto lens that produces decent result when you stopped down (use smaller aperture) one to two stops. Because it has small maximum aperture and no vibration compensation, you might want to use tripod for the best result. Great for general photography especially wildlife, portrait and macro.

tamron-60mm-macro-f2Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro Price: $500
Most macro prime in the market stuck at f/2.8. Tamron has able to make it one step better to f/2 which is remarkable. It is sharp wide open and has internal focusing motor, so it does not extend when focusing like many other macro lenses. It could be use as a portrait lens as well.

That’s all folks. You can get your lenses from Amazon, they have a very competitive price and great service. I hope this can help you and have fun making pictures with the lenses!

Looking for other alternative? Check out Nikon lenses or  Sigma lenses for Nikon D5000, D3000

Kyle October 29, 2010 at 9:44 am

I recently purchased Nikon D3100 and want to purchase Tamron A14 18-200MM lens for it. Does this lens work with D3100… maybe better question is… What will not work.

I see things that say that focus won’t work during “movie mode”.

Can I use this lense with D3100 or not?

Thanks for the help. I have a Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 but would like to do away with both.

Enche Tjin October 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

It will work as long if the Tamron has built-in AF motor for Nikon D3000/D3100 like this lens. Ask the store / salesperson for that.

jeswin November 2, 2010 at 2:32 am

i am thinking of getting a macro lens for my nikon d5000
which one will be better between these two
Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro
or
AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED

Enche Tjin November 2, 2010 at 3:12 am

Tamron 60mm is better overall because it has the same image quality as Nikon however, it has bigger max aperture so that you can get more light or defocus the background more. This lens also has farther closing distance so you can have some space (10cm vs 5cm) which is valuable when shooting outdoor (insect, flowers).

On the other hand, Nikon 60mm build quality is better and auto focus works faster and more snappy.

yuli November 16, 2010 at 12:32 am

I’m thinking to buy a Nikon D3100 but I heard that the lens that comes with the kit is not so goog . I’m upgrading from a point and shoot camera so what is the best lens I can buy for a beginner and still have a good quality pictures?

Enche Tjin November 16, 2010 at 1:48 am

It depends on your budget, Tamron and Sigma lens usually provide better value for money. Beside the lenses above, I recommend Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non VC version.

elmer a. acierto April 11, 2011 at 3:41 am

I just had my nikon d3100.. please give me advice if what is the best lens for it.

Enche Tjin April 11, 2011 at 3:51 am

It will depend on your needs what kind of photography are you going to practice?

Feroz Murshed April 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Dear Sir,
I have a Nikon d 3000. I want to take photos on weeding, birthday any other ceremonies. most of them will be taken in indoor. i want to know witch lens will be good for that? do the wide lenses can be used for that? could you please suggest some cheap and good quality lenses for me.
Kind Regards
Feroz Murshed.

Enche Tjin April 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I’ll suggest Nikon 35mm f/1.8 For wide angle, you might want Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6

dina June 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm

thanks for this.. very helpful

said elmamouni February 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I have D5000 and I want
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro

For daily use / portrait / wildfire / macro / wedding images

what you suggest ,?

Enche Tjin February 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hi Said, the Tamron will be too slow for wildlife or wedding :)