Recommended lenses for Nikon D700, Nikon D3, D3s, D3X

by Enche Tjin on August 21, 2010

Full frame camera such as Nikon D700, D3, D3s and D3X need special lens optimized for full frame sensor. Many lenses in the market are optimized for DX format, therefore, it is not fully compatible with full frame camera. Some Nikon FX lenses are either out of date design/mechanical wise or are too expensive.

Fortunately, On August 19th 2011, Nikon releases three full frame (FX) lenses. These lenses are essential for Nikon to compete with Canon and Sony.

Here are some recommendations:

Nikon-28-300mmNikon 28-300mm F3.5-5.36 G ED VR Price: $1050

Following the foot step of successful Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon is wise to design 28-300mm, the equivalent of popular 18-200mm lens in full frame camera sensor. This lens is often called all-around lens because it can be wide or telephoto to capture distance subject. You can also use 28-300mm lens in DX camera such as on Nikon D90 or Nikon D300s, if you do that, you will get approx. 42mm-450mm which is long enough for outdoor sport events or birds. Other alternative is Tamron f/3.5-6.3 XR Di AF (no VR) at less than $350.

nikon-24-120mm-f4Nikon 24-120mm f/4 G N VR Price: $1299

Great multipurpose lens with fixed focal length, this lens is an update of older 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. This new lens has Nano coat to help reduce flare. Overall, This lens produces better quality image quality compared to 28-300mm.

nikon-16-35mm-f4-vrNikon 16-35mm f/4 G N VR Price: $1077

Super wide Nikon 16-35mm is a relatively light weight, great image quality and ideal for landscape or photojournalism because it can covers wide area. It also has VR which will help you stabilized the shoot in low light condition without tripod.

nikon-50mmNikon AF 50mm f/1.4D Price: $330

Nikon outstanding lens from film era produces very good image quality especially at f/2 or smaller aperture. This lens has aperture ring for manual / analog camera and also auto focus 2-3 times faster than the new Nikon 50mm f/1.4G. It is definitely a nice buy.

nikon-70-200mm-vr2Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR Price: $2175

Very high quality Nikon lens for professional use, ideal for candid, action or portrait photography. This lens is very sharp and optimized for Nikon full frame camera.

nikon-85mm-gNikon 85mm f/1.4G N Price: $1699

The old 85mm f/1.4D is my favorite lens for portrait because it has very shallow depth of field and very sharp wide open (f/1.4). This lens is the updated version. It features nano coating to reduce flare, and got the new silent auto focus motor.

nikon-105mm-macroNikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro Price: $889

If you like to shoot small subjects like insects, food, or still life then this macro lens is for you. It is quite expensive, but you will have a lot of fun with it. The other application for this lens is portrait. The VR system will be helpful to stabilize the camera in low light condition.

That’s all folks. You can get your lenses from Amazon, they have a very competitive price and great service. I hope this can help you and have fun making pictures with the lenses!

Related: Recommended Sigma or third party lenses for Nikon D700

thrillsseeker August 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I’m surprised you didn’t mention Nikon’s 70-300 telephoto zoom as an alternative to the 70-200. It’s much lighter, and at less than $1000, a much less expensive and something of a sleeper in my opinion. If you shoot on a tripod, you won’t care that it doesn’t have VR and it’s not a 2.8. I really like this lens and was able to buy a 14-24 as well for the same price as the 70-200.

Rich September 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm

The 28-300 is a full frame sensor lens. So, it is equivalent to 28-300, not 18-200.

Rich September 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Roberto Duarte September 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

A Nikon patrocina as corridas de touros.
Verguensa poriso eu mudei para Canon
Sofrimento de animais
to fora

Andrew September 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm

24-70 2.8 is probably the most functional full framed lens…….and the VR II for 70-200

Mike L September 29, 2010 at 9:34 pm

The new AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 ED is VR, and it is a great lens. Just picked one up recently for a D700. It is the one that I keep on the camera, because it is so versatile and light weight. Good stuff.

The AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED and the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED are also real nice lenses too. Pricey, but real nice. The old adage applies, when it comes to Nikon. You get what you pay for.

Daiv October 6, 2010 at 7:09 am

I have to make a small correction to Mike L’s comment, “The old adage applies, when it comes to Nikon. You get what you pay for.” My $600 70-300 NIKKOR makes incredible captures. On the other hand, there are several non-Nikon lenses that actually out-perform them at bang for the buck.

One of my favorite lenses right now is my Tamron AF 28-75 f:2.8 (IF) macro. The lens better than a comperable NIKKOR lens (for over $1K), yet cost me less than $500.

Perhaps he meant that really good NIKKOR lenses cost a bunch. If so, don’t forget that it is an issue of: cost vs. performance = value. Some mid-priced NIKKOR lenses way out-perform their moderate price tags.

One of the best sources for information is digital photography clubs. Try Meetup.com, find a group near you and just show up.

Enche Tjin October 6, 2010 at 7:29 am

I think we pay for consistent quality control if we pick Nikon lenses. I often heard complaints about inconsistency among third party lenses.

If you get a good copy, then it is great because they are much cheaper than Nikon coutnerpart. I uses three of their lenses (Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro and 70-200mm f/2.8 II) and I can’t complain about their image quality. Performance wise (auto focus), they are not as good as Nikons pro grade lens.

Michael Durant October 22, 2010 at 6:44 pm

if it says Bmw than you know it a BMW so why do people get on here and say things like its as good as a nikon lens if it was as good as nikon then it would say nikon I have used the sigma and the tamaron 24 to 70, 75 and this was at a wedding and after I said never going to ujse anything but nikon and silent wave motors for the speed.

bash November 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

this image was shot with nikon 28-300 mm.

yalek January 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I bought a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. After a year, I bought a Nikkor 24-120mm. The problem of the third party lens is that the focuse is too slow and the image on the view finder is not as bright as the Nikkor. Tamron lens gave me decent images and even better than the Nikkor 24-120mm in some situation. However, the lens is just way too slow on focusing because it does not have built in motor.
This is one of the major reason why Nikkor lens are more expensive than the third party.

EC March 7, 2011 at 11:00 pm

my gear: 2 Nikon D3s, 200-400 f4, 70-200 f2.8, 14-24 f2.8, 105 f2.8, and an SB-900 strobe. Enough can’t be said about it!

I love it…