Today, Fuji announces Fuji Finepix X100 development. This unique compact camera won’t be out for sale until next year.
What unique about Fuji Finepix X100?
Design and control
X100 design is similar to classic rangefinder camera. Small & compact but sturdy (metal construction) with classic control such as dedicated shutter speed dial, dedicated aperture ring (on the lens), and dedicated exposure compensation dial.
It has Hybrid viewfinder, which can be switch to high resolution electronic viewfinder which you can see many setting information or you can opt to tradisitional optical viewfinder. Unfortunately, the optical viewfinder size is quite small (.5x magnification) and will not very accurate in close up photography because of parallax error.
Integrated prime lens, EXR processor and sensor
Fixed 23 mm (35mm) f/2 – f/16 lens that specifically built in conjunction of Fuji sensor and EXR processor to deliver integrated, consistent best result for any circumstances.
Fuji Finepix X100 specs
- 12 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 23mm (equivalent to 35mm) f/2-f/16 lens
- Optical viewfinder 0.5X magnification with approx. 90% frame coverage
- Electronic Hybrid viewfinder 1,440,000-dot
- 2.8-inch, Colour LCD monitor, approx 460,000 dots
- Movie recording: 1280×720 HD with stereo sound
- 126.5(W) x 74.4(H) x 53.9(D) mm including lens
- Continuous shooting speed: 5 fps
- Exposure compensation +2/-2
- Shutter speed Bulb to up to 1/4000
- High speed contrast auto focus
- Horizontal electronic level
- Shooting mode available: Program, Aperture and shutter priority and manual mode
- Price: 150.000 yen (in Japan). Approx $1000 in USA (according to Engadget)
I see Fujifilm X100 will appeal to enthusiasts or experienced photographers who desire a compact camera that has great interface and able to produce high quality photographs equal to Digital SLR camera quality. I regard this camera to be the best on its class. Hopefully the price will not be that high
It has some competitors such as
vs Leica X1 Price $2000
Luxury compact with similar concept such as APS-C sensor, fixed 24mm (equivalent to 35mm) lens, however, it does not has viewfinder, the lens extend when the camera turns on.
vs Sigma DP series Price $300-700
Compact camera with APS-C sensor and prime lens. DP2 employs equivalent to 35mm lens, DP1 employs 28mm. Sigma uses Foveon sensor instead of popular APS-C sensor. The design and control is more similar to modern compact camera instead of classic film camera.
vs Ricoh GXR with A12 lens module Price: camera only: $350, Bundled with A12 50mm macro module: $1100
GXR has different concept. while all the cameras above has fixed lens, you can change lens-sensor module to your needs. For example, you can either use A12 which is 50mm f/2.5 macro lens module or S12, which is 24-70mm lens with small sensor module. In the future, Ricoh plans to release more lens-sensor module, including 28mm f/2.5 module.
Read also: Interesting opinion by Miserie from Enticing the Light blog.
Official Fuji FinePix X100 websiteRelated Post: