Today, I read rumor about upcoming Sony compact camera, Sony RX100, which will has 1 inch sensor. Sony packs 20 MP CMOS EXMOR sensor in it. 1 inch sensor means that it can produce better pictures than regular compact cameras. Most compacts only has around 1/2 inch image sensor. However, it will be no match with DSLR or micro four thirds system cameras which has 2-3 times larger size image sensor.
The design is very simple. It looks very similar to Nikon 1 system cameras. RX100 has fixed, versatile zoom lens 30-108mm (4:3 aspect ratio) and 29-105mm (16:9 aspect ratio), but no hot shoe flash nor viewfinder.
Sony RX100 concept is not new, because we already has relatively large image sensor in compact camera body such as Fuji X10, Canon G1X. Both cameras has the same concept but different in design and size. Among them, Sony RX100 is the most compact, and because the lens collapsed down when not in used, RX100 might be pocketable.
Some people might also compare the Sony RX100 to Nikon 1 system, especially the Nikon J1 which has many similarities with RX100, except, the Nikon 1 system allows users to change lenses. However, Nikon 1 system will be bulkier because of the lenses.
Sony RX100 is designed for enthusiasts photographers who want a better quality camera but do not want to carry DSLR cameras or carry multiple lenses on a trip. We also need to wait and to check out are image quality and camera performance and decide whether this product is good or not. If the performance is great, it will be great for street and travel photography.
Sony RX100 specifications (as leaked on the web)
- Sensor size – 1.0 (13.2×8.8mm) Exmor CMOS sensor
- Number of effective pixels 20.2 million pixels
- LCD monitor (4:3), 3.0-inch, 1,229,000 dots
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T * lens Focal length 30-108mm (4:3) equivalent 35mm, 29mm-105mm (16:9)
- Aperture F1.8-4.9
- Minimum focusing distance is 55cm 5cm, at the telephoto end in the wide
- Shooting time/battery life per photos: 330 minute / 165 (compliant with CIPA)
- Shutter speed, 30-second shutter speed 1/2000 with manual
- ISO sensitivity (100 and 80 in the expansion), NR ISO125-6400 in Auto: ISO125-25600 in the Auto
- 10 seconds continuous shooting frames / second 2.5 frames / continuous shooting in priority mode in normal mode
- Still images JPEG, RAW
- Video is 1920×1080 60p AVCHD 28M
- Size 58.1×101.6×35.9mm
- Weight (including battery and Memory Stick Duo) 240 g
- Color: Black